Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chapter Ten and a little peek at what I wrote

I'm still working on Chapter Ten of In Shadows. I thought for those interested in this current project I'd share a little of my new favorite character I'm writing. Here is a little scene from Chapter 9 involving, Z'ren the Emissary from the jungle kingdom of Nargoth. But please keep in mind this is not going to be the finished product as I may go over this scene again to make grammar and any other corrections to it I see fit.
Out of the shadows of a passage a figure emerged with both his arms gripping the other in the the opposite sleeves of a fine pale blue silken robe. The fifty year old man with a full head of long gray hair and black emerald eyes smiled, "What a most unexpected surprise to find the return so swiftly of the Nathrak Emissary. I thought you would not be here for my final session of the Taine Court. I am honored, though I am sure you did not rush your return as I have only recently received the news that my Queen requires my presence elsewhere."

Lady Betlinde thinking quick on her feet was the first to reply, "Your advice and counsel shall be dearly missed, old friend."

Z'ren smiled at her as he gave a nod of his head towards her, "Ah Lady Betlinde, I shall miss your charm. Indeed Taine is so fortunate that there is only one of you."

She inquired unsure if he had heard their conversation or not, "And to what remote corner is the Queen of Nargoth sending her little jewel?" and she would not bring the matter up in the event that he had heard little of her conversation with the Nathrak Emissary. She did not trust Emissary Z'ren. His motivations and way of speaking all seemed far to foreign to her mind. Worst was the rumor that he took certain herbal practices that altered the brain as others took to alcohol, yet she had never seen him suffering the side effects of such herbal recreations. She did not know if these allegations were unfounded or not.

He withdrew an arm and held it somewhat melodramatically and on purpose against his head, " 'Tis a sad fate, oh beauteous princess of a house of nobility so ancient it begins to crumble. I am to be sent into even colder climes then fair Taine. The Kalyuune Mountains shall be my new home for many months until the cruel Queen sees the wisdom of sending me to a far warmer locale. I hope you shall pray for such a more pleasant fate for me to your Golden Gods. I am a mere heathen after all, and my worshiping and prayers belonging to the capricious nature of the cruel and rare benevolence of the God King and God Queen of Nargoth, and thusly you a devout follower of your Golden Gods shall have more favor with said Gods then I."

"Don't you mean Goddess Queen?" Lady Betlinde remarked offhand and without thought.

"Such distinctions are not so important in Nargothese, my lady." He said dismissively as he returned his arms back into the opposite sleeves to overlap onto the arms already in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment